Silver

January 8, 2010

Our dog Silver

Silver - January 3, 2010

I live in Michigan, one of the least happy states in the Union.

The weather is cold, overcast and gray. We had a nasty snowstorm yesterday. The weekend is supposed to bring sub zero temperatures to most of the country.

The holidays are over, and there isn’t much to look forward to for the next few months.

Our dog Silver is fourteen years old, and has been a large part of our family for as many years. She is a Siberian Husky and is a beautiful dog. But she has tumors all over her body, and is in pain and very unhappy. She doesn’t have long to live.

Jeff and I emailed the children and told them about Silver’s condition. They are reluctant to believe that things are this bad. It’s hard to imagine the world without this beloved friend. Still, they can’t pretend, and they want to be fair to Silver. “Do what has to be done,” they write back. Silver loves coffee with cream and sugar, so Nena tells me to let her have as much as she likes.

This gives me an idea.

I will invite my best girlfriends to my house tomorrow. Silver loves to sit with us while we talk and knit and drink tea. She has always considered herself one of the group. I will bring out the good china, some delicious spice cookies, tea and coffee. In a lovely white saucer I will crumble some cookies, and pour over them  plenty of creamy, sweet coffee.

We will enjoy being together for a bit longer and maybe the day will seem a little warmer.

Silver

Silver enjoying crepes with coffee - Sunday, January 10th

Update:

Branka and Joe, as well as Ann, Cathy and Jelena came over on Sunday afternoon. It was a lovely, sunny day and it was good to sit in our dining room and talk and knit. We drank tea and coffee and ate cherry pie and “palachinke” a type of Serbian crepes.

And Silver? Well, she was restless, but happy to see her friends. We showered her with love, caresses, attention, and food. I cut up three crepes in a fancy plate and poured syrup and coffee with cream and sugar on top.

Silver enjoyed every bite and the plate was sparkly when she was done!

Dordje February 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Mrsav vam je taj kuca.Da li on to jede povrce.

Donna Korol January 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I remember the fantastic dinners at your mom’s house. She was an incredibly gracious hostess. Her cakes were the best. She took such pride in her domesticity. I don’t think any of us truly understood then just how wonderful she was. Martha Steward could have learned from her a thing or two. Most of all, I remember her love for you and Branka, and I know her big heart had a space for me too.

Liliana January 22, 2010 at 10:38 am

Dear Donna,
thank you for your kind words. It makes me very happy that you remember my mom with so much love, and you are right, she always had a warm spot for you in her heart.
Domesticity seemed like such an old fashioned concept when we were young feminists, and only now do I understand that the two are not necessarily a contradiction. It is because my mother created that warmth and comfort for us, that we had the confidence to go out and be young philosophers. Hugs to you and yours!

Branka January 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I am lucky to have such a great loving sister, friends, and husband. I just wish that Slver could live longer and, I wish that we could all take a trip to some warm, sunny place for a very long time.

Ana January 11, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Silver is truly a beautiful dog – I wish her all the joy in the world for her remaining time with you.

Jelena January 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

Warmth is where you find it. And affection. And Silver has given and gotten much of both over the years. As one female who loves to eat to another, I love you, Silver.

Jeff January 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Off to a good start! Keep up the good work.