House for Sale

April 26, 2012

Gracious Living Day by DayFor the past year my husband Jeff and I have been trying to decide whether to list our house for sale.

Our children are in school and mostly on their own. My sister Branka and brother-in-law Joe have been living with us for the last two years but will be moving back to their own house this summer. Jeff and I don’t need a large house for just the two of us. A condominium with room for our children (when they come to visit) is a perfect space to transition to at this time.

Jeff and I have been negotiating for months. Should we sell or should we wait a little longer?

Last weekend we made a decision. The house is going on sale after the Memorial Day weekend.

House for Sale

House for Sale

This does not leave us a lot of time and there is much to do to get the house ready. After walking from room to room we made a long list of tasks that need to be completed and assigned a job to each family member.

Every room needs to be painted and this includes ceilings, walls, trim and all the doors. The door knobs should be replaced along with many light fixtures. Bathrooms have to be spruced up. The garage door must be replaced as well as the living room carpet. Clutter must be cleared, pictures taken off walls, furniture removed. And much more.

All this sounds reasonable and attainable except that our house is already overflowing with stuff.

How do we replace the garage doors when the garage is overcrowded with my sister’s boxes? Where do we move the extra furniture, pictures, boxes of books, when our basement is full of furniture, boxes and books already?

We’ll figure it out. It’s a little overwhelming, but I am trying hard to stay calm, do one task after another and not panic.

Dear readers, I will not be writing often in the next few weeks. I will be wearing my old pair of jeans, an old t-shirt and painting, cleaning and packing everything in sight.

Am I sad to be selling the home we have lived in for almost twenty years, the place where my children grew up?

Right now, I don’t have much time to think about it, but I am sure it will hit me at some point. Right now, I am removing traces of all the footprints we have stamped on this house and painting everything neutral.

By the time we are done, this place won’t look like our house at all.

And if the house doesn’t look like our old home, overflowing with people, books and warm colors, it will be that much easier to leave.

Loi Thai April 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hi Liliana,
Thank you for your visit and comment on my new blog. So wonderful to find you.

Good luck on your house sale! I know there is a lot to do (as I’ve sold 2 homes previously). Sending you my best from DC,
Loi
Tone on Tone

Liliana April 28, 2012 at 6:55 am

Thank you, Loi, for your good wishes. I love your blog and feel lucky to have found it.
I think you have exquisite taste and hope to use lots of your suggestions in decorating our new home.
I will include the link to your blog on my blogroll.
Please stay in touch.
Hugs,
Liliana

Sue April 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Best of luck with everything!

Liliana April 27, 2012 at 6:28 am

Thanks, Sue.

Karen April 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My tears turned on. I don’t want to think of you guys ever leaving. I will no longer be able to imagine the Holtzman state of things just as they are, only as it was. The letting go, and the moving. Hard things. Love to all of you.

Liliana April 27, 2012 at 6:27 am

Hard things, indeed, my sweet Karen, but remember that they also make room for new adventures. You’ll have to come and see our new place – home is wherever we are.
Have a great trip, sweetheart, and keep in touch.
Love always.

Joe Holtzman April 26, 2012 at 10:01 am

There’s a bittersweet tone in this posting that makes me wistful for all the good memories we’ve created in the house. I am already grieving a bit in advance. But we’ll forge on, LJ, into even better times and memories. Chin up!

–Joe

Liliana April 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

All part of life, Ika.
It’s not always easy, but who says it was meant to be easy? Thanks for being the best brother in the world.
Love always.

Jelena April 26, 2012 at 9:04 am

As one who has moved–not always under the best of circumstances–many times, my heart goes out to you, and my very best wishes that all go well. Just remember that houses/condos/apartments come and go, but “home” is the part that stays with us and our children and that we carry to whatever new place we move. It’ll all be fine. Eventually. And we’ll be celebrating, as always. Much love to all the members of the household.

Liliana April 26, 2012 at 9:12 am

Thanks, girlfriend, for keeping me grounded and being the voice of reason. Love to you.

Conner April 26, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hi Liliana! Thnak you for this wonderful post — made me realize I’m not alone… I’m in the throes of moving too — packing up afer a mere 11 years, but this feels pretty stressful too…
I keep reminding myself that it’s all “just stuff” — what really matters (the love I have for my family and my friends, the happy memories of the years spent here, the passion I have for my work) is coming with me.
We’re moving to Boulder, CO. What about you?
Stay cool and keep looking forward! All best wishes, Conner

Liliana April 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

Dear Connor,
best of luck on your move – it will be quiet a change from France to Boulder! Like you say, it’s one’s attitude that makes it all possible, and bearable.
We are staying in Ann Arbor, but moving to a smaller space.
Keep in touch,
L.

Dave Harrison April 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

This my dear is why they offer indoor storage for rent. You can get one of those heated/air conditioned places to put your stuff as you go through and make the transition much easier. I do not envy ya’ll this task but it will be worth it in the end. Good Luck.
Much Love
Dave

Liliana April 26, 2012 at 7:58 am

Thanks, Dave! We’ll get through it. Hugs to you.