Early Fall This Year

September 26, 2012

Gracious Living Day by DayThis year, fall started with unseasonably cold temperatures in southeastern Michigan. No frost yet, but it went down to 34 F the other night.

When kids came to visit last weekend we turned on the heat and huddled cozily around the dinner table.

dinner at home

I have been cooking some of our fall favorites: roast lamb, lentil soup, chicken stew, corn bread, and salads with sweetly ripe tomatoes.

Every Wednesday morning I go to the farmer’s market and buy loads of tomatoes, sweet peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, grapes, apples and raspberries.

In the afternoons when I take Kaya for walks I often hide a crisp, fresh apple in my pocket.

kaya on a walk

The leaves have started changing and there is a pleasant crunch underfoot, but summer flowers are still in full bloom and are overflowing into the mums’ season. The world is profuse with a rich orange glow and smoky smells.

early fall leaves

flowers

We have sold our house.

September was spent packing books and thirty years worth of possessions, moving furniture, and getting rid of stuff we have outgrown or no longer need.

After we moved all our belongings out of our old home, I spent a week cleaning every corner and slowly saying good buy to the life we lived there. I don’t know why it meant so much to me to leave the space flawless to the young family moving in, but it seemed vital that their new house welcome them in pristine condition.

Friends advised that we hire a cleaning service but I knew that this job needed to be done by me. So I went from room to room and washed all echos of our lives from the walls, floors, the kitchen appliances, the basement, the outdoor patio. By the time I finished, the house was spotless but it wasn’t our house any more. Now it belonged to the new family, and to be honest, I was exhausted, but this made me think about how I needed to go onย vacuumable.com and get a vacuum for the house, so it wouldn’t be so hard to clean up.

empty house 1

empty house 2

So, where are we living now? People laugh when they hear that we are staying at my sister and brother-in law’s house. I guess even after being together for the last two years we are still not tired of each others company.

Jeff and I agreed that we didn’t want to rush into buying our new place. We want our next home to take us into deep old age and it seems important that we choose slowly, that we choose wisely. So, instead of selling and buying at the same time we decided to do one thing at the time: sell our old house first, then spend as much time as we need searching for the house that we both love.

These days we are mostly enjoying early fall, resting and recuperating from the challenges of past summer.

We haven’t started looking for the new house yet. Maybe next week, but we already know what residential designers Los Angeles will make our new home.

Jelena September 28, 2012 at 8:08 am

All the best with your new beginnings! I so look forward to the next phase of life we’re all entering. And I’ll be over for that pasulj, dessert in hand.

What is Loi’s website? I’d love to visit.

Liliana September 28, 2012 at 8:23 am

Dear Jelena,
Life is good, isn’t it? It’s so great that our friends are as excited as we are about the changes that we are making. With everyone on the lookout for a new house we’ll find the perfect place in no time.
And then we’ll have fun: pasulj, barbecues, good movies, great conversions and most of all – great friends.

Do visit Loi’s site and I recommend the same to all my readers. His blog, Tone on Tone, is beautiful and full of ideas and inspirations for home design and much more. And Loi seems like a really lovely person. Here is the link: http://toneontoneantiques.blogspot.com/

Branka September 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Mozete ovde ostati vecito!!

Liliana September 28, 2012 at 8:09 am

Lots of hugs and kisses to my sweet sister!

Radmila Minor (Krinulovic) September 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm

My dad used to say that he could live in one room, as long as he had company come over and a pot of pasulj on the stove to serve his guests. I used to think that was so weird. Now, older and wise, I get it. I wish you the best of luck finding your new home. And I wish you many guests and and endless supply of pasulj ๐Ÿ™‚

Liliana September 28, 2012 at 8:08 am

Dear Radmila,
I have heard that same saying my entire life – it is such an integral part of our Serbian heritage.
Thank you for your kind wishes, I am excited about our search. I’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, we are cooking lots of pasulj (bean soup.) It is one of my favorite cold weather dishes.
Hugs to you!

Nikole September 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Liliana, I know how you feel — I did the same thing when I left my last two apartments. Unfortunately, after I left the second apartment, the new owners gutted it, took out the heavy wood doors (I saw them on the street!) and put in those ‘modern’ hollow core doors. Why? The better to hear breathing from from to room? Who knows what other horrors they did. Well it isn’t my apartment anymore but it is my favorite, in memory.
Couldn’t you put me back on your mailing list? Again, I found this post only by manually typing in the URL.

Liliana September 28, 2012 at 7:52 am

Dear Nikole,
I wish I found those doors at the curb myself!
I also love beautiful old materials and have trouble understanding different tastes. But it is what it is.

I am sorry you are having trouble receiving emails from me. All my subscribers tell me the same thing, and I can’t figure out why. I will work on it. Sorry, and thank you for being such a loyal reader.
Hugs and best wishes to you.

Loi Thai September 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Congratulations, Liliana. That was very kind and thoughtful of you to personally get the house ready for the new owners. Perhaps it brought closure, too? I hope the new owners will cherish the house as much as you all have. And you are wise not to jump into purchasing another home quickly…..why rush when you don’t have to? I do think autumn is a great time for open houses ๐Ÿ™‚
Cheers, my friend ~
Loi

Liliana September 27, 2012 at 6:34 am

Thank you, Loi, it did bring closure โ€“ it was very therapeutic to prepare the space for new occupants.
Now, we are getting ready for the new stage of our life. I have been thinking of the kind of house I want (and the kind of decor) and spending a lot of time on your blog getting ideas. I love your style, you are giving me tons of inspiration.
Hugs and best wishes to you!

Loi Thai October 4, 2012 at 9:39 pm