Our New House

January 30, 2013

Gracious Living Day by DayWe bought a house.

Our New House                                                                             Our new home – all snowed in

The moment we walked into this house, I felt at home.

The house was built in 1951, and only one other family has lived in it this entire time. They seem like people we would have liked to know: books, music and art are everywhere. During the home inspection, we noticed at least three copies of Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice.

The house is designed for a comfortable but practical lifestyle. Every room is meant to be used – every day.

One walks into a spacious foyer, the stairwell to the second floor on the left side and a large living room on the right. The living room has a wood burning fireplace, and enough room for a piano, and our bookcases and our large sofa.

Next to the living room is a formal dinning room with room for a table that will seat at least ten people. Covering the entire wall is a large window that looks out onto a shady, secluded back yard.

I see my family and my friends sitting in this room, enjoying a delicious meal, talking and laughing.

I see myself spending hours in this room, sitting at the table and writing.

The kitchen is old and outdated, but Jeff and I have big plans for it. Both of us love to cook, and for the first time we will get to design a kitchen the way we would like it to function. In this one room there are three large windows.

The second floor has three bedrooms, each with two or three windows that fill the space with light and air. The landing has enough room for a potted lemon tree that I plan on placing there to make the house smell like sunshine.

The current decor of the house is of a different age, but once we remove the heavy carpets, refinish the wooden floors, replace the kitchen and paint the walls, the space will take our family into a warm and comfortable embrace.

Tall trees surround and protect our little house. I don’t know what bulbs and flowers will come out in the spring, but am very eager to find out. I already have plans for the garden: hydrangeas and lavender in the front yard, lilacs in the back.

The house is on a quiet, tree-lined street within walking distance of my sister’s house and my friend Jelena’s condo, within walking distance of our downtown. During the warm weather months I can ride my bike to the farmer’s market.

Jeff and I are ready to accept stewardship of this lovely home for years to come. We’ll take good care of it, we promise.

Anne Stehle March 3, 2013 at 7:51 am

How Wonderful! We love our new home. Haven’t been here much as I moved to Monroe for 6 months to live with my Mother as she made her last journey through stage 4 lung cancer.

Where are you located? Now that I am back home and have time again, I would love to have tea with you and have you out for a visit. Please let me know your new address and phone…send it to me at my private email and I’ll call you . annestehle@comcast.net

Mariana Aitches February 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Oh, Liliana–congratulations! This looks and sounds so wonderful. I’m so happy for ya’ll. Where is it exactly? What’s your new address?

Sounds like you are doing very well–and Mike too. I hear about him from Nick. Mike is very special to me, as you know. What a great young man. Wouldn’t it be fun to get together again with our boys?

Love and peace, Mariana

Liliana February 21, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thank you, Mariana. The house is near the corner of Packard and Stadium, on a quiet, leafy street. So lovely!

You need to come and visit us. Maybe this summer you and Nick can come when Mike returns from Europe and we can spend some time together.
Sending you hugs and good wishes,
L.

Loi - Tone on Tone February 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Dear Liliana,
Wow, so much to catch up here! Many congratulations to you and Jeff!! You all have been so patient, and now, you’ve found your new old house. The house sounds charming. I look forward to seeing what you all will do. How exciting it will be to have a new custom kitchen 🙂 And what a great location! Your sister and friend are both delighted, I’m sure.
Warm greetings,
Loi

Liliana February 18, 2013 at 7:20 am

Thanks for you kind words, Loi.
We are very excited. Lots of work to do, but we are ready for it. I’ll keep you posted on what’s happening.
Hugs and good wishes,
L.

Joe Holtzman February 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm

This house has a soul; may you share it with the rest of us for many years to come!

Love,

–Joe

P.S. You’re gonna miss seeing me every day.

Liliana February 4, 2013 at 6:51 am

This house belongs to all of us and I won’t miss you because I’ll still see you every day!

Carol January 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Congratulations on your new home! I kept checking to see if you had found one. I am especially envious that you can ride your bike to the A2 Farmer’s Market. I am very happy for you, beautiful home.

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thank you, Carol, we are very excited. It took a long time (and a lot of patience) to find the place that works for our family.
It’s good to hear from you. Wishing you all the best.

Martha January 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

You hadn’t told me this detail: “During the home inspection, we noticed at least three copies of Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice. ”

No other house stood a chance given that!

Wishing you many years of happiness in your new home.

–Martha

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you, Martha, for your good wishes. Best of luck to you on your new adventure.
Love and hugs.

Rosanna January 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

Maybe your Snowdrop Angel will *shower your new home* with her little white flowers early this Spring, Liliana………… I sincerely hope so!!

Lately in my life—-through some (r.e.a.l.l.y. bendin’-me-down) sorrows—-your blog, particularly, has been *refuge* for me; and also a pure joy………… even during your (and/or your Family’s) very difficult Life Challenges………… simply for how you handle things with SUCH love and genuine *grace*. (May I clone you, Liliana??!! Haha!!) This is another heartfelt blessing for you in your new home!!:

A TRADITIONAL IRISH BLESSING

Warm be the love that surrounds you,
Good be your friends, and true,
Constant be hope and promise,
Useful the work that you do —

Close be your family around you,
Good health be yours day by day,
Long be the life that you’re living,
And full of much joy on the way!

Warmly,
Rosanna

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 11:53 am

Dear Rosanna,
it’s so good to hear from you! I thought of you many times and wondered if you were doing all right. I am sorry to hear that you have gone through hard times. I so hope that things are better now.

Yes, I still have the Snowdrop Angel that you had sent me, and I will cherish it in my new home. Thank you for the lovely Irish blessing – I send it right back to you.
Hugs and best wishes to you,
L.

Peggy Holtzman January 30, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thanks for the picture and beautiful description. An Irish blessing for your new home: May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home. May good and faithful friends be yours wherever you may roam…
Love,
Peg

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thank you, dear Peggy, for your good wishes. I hope we’ll all have many happy times together in our new house. Love and hugs to you.

John January 30, 2013 at 9:46 am

I am very happy for you. It seems your patience will be rewarded. We also are on the cusp of moving into a new home. We don’t have your ambition when it comes to remodeling, but share your excitement at the prospect of being within walking distance of downtown.

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 9:49 am

Dear John,
I am so glad to hear that you are moving forward with your plans as well. We are going through very similar experiences, aren’t we? I wish you a wonderful new chapter in your life. I hope you are healthy and happy.
I send you lots of hugs and best wishes in everything you do.

shawn January 30, 2013 at 9:36 am

congrats on your new home !! Its beautiful. When the bulbs in the garden push through this spring …. it will be like christmass … each one a little gift. i hope your new space inspires more writing… i love your blog Liliana.

Best regards,
shawn olaughlin
desde mexico

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thank you, Shawn, for your kind words. I look forward to those bulbs more than I can say. Hugs to you.

Jelena January 30, 2013 at 9:30 am

It’s a wonderful, homey house, and I look forward to you living there a long, long time. All the best to you and Jeff!

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 9:44 am

I look forward to walking over to your house on a hot summer evening and sharing a cool drink!
Like we said, girlfriend, we starting a new chapter in our lives.

Jeff January 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

Liliana – that is wonderful news! So nice to hear you’ve found a house that’s gone straight to your heart.

Now an old family tradition of ours – the first things you bring into the house are salt, sugar, and bread. The salt is so you will always have good luck, the sugar that your life will always be sweet, and the bread so you’ll never go hungry.

Good luck and good health to you and Jeff!

– the other Jeff 🙂

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 9:42 am

What a wonderful tradition, Jeff. We are going to adopt it as our own.
Sending lots of hugs eastward!

Cathy January 30, 2013 at 9:06 am

I am so happy for you and Jeff, congratulations Liliana!

Liliana January 30, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you, girlfriend! Sending you love and hugs.